BEST MUSIC OF 2014

by - Tuesday, December 30, 2014

2014 was an amazing year in music, many of my favourite artists and bands hit their peak and many flopped and toppled over their own two feet, microphones and maybe a couple of instruments.There were too many songs that I loved this year, it was difficult for me to cut it down to a top 5 but there are many artists who blew me away and are notable or worth a listen.


TOP 5 SINGLES 2014

1. Uptown Funk – This song came out late in the year but I don’t even care, this song is the hit of the year and if it doesn’t sweep awards any time soon I’ll be greatly disappointed. I know many people who hopped on this song so fast and loved it a lot, while others took time to enjoy the brilliance of Mark Ronson and Bruno Mars teaming up to create this hip thrusting, booty shaking hit. I could listen to this song on repeat and never get sick of it. Most catchiest beat of the year, hands down!

2. Fancy – Iggy Azalea has had an insane year in 2014. Her singles and album have completely smashed the charts. Although her collaborations with Rita OraArianaGrande and many others also did well, I feel like collaborating with Charli XCX was not only the best decision for Iggy but completely kick started Charli, who was not really known before this and I’m so glad that she’s finally getting some recognition. I’m such a huge fan of Iggy and Charli XCX, both together and as separate artists. Fancy created a new era in rap music and no one can tell me different.

3. Take Me To Church – This song actually came out late 2013 and I was extremely pleased to see it peak in charts and become a popular song, Hozier deserves all the credit he can get for this soulful song, and this song makes me feel things that I never thought I would feel. I continuously feel like jamming out to this song with my lighter or phone with the light on in the air and pounding my fist up with loads of passion. 

4. Snap Out Of It – Arctic Monkeys are those bands that have never put a foot wrong. This band makes you feel things in places you never thought you knew existed. ‘Snap Out Of It’ is a single picked from the 2013 album of ‘AM’. It truly impacted the radio and although didn’t peak at it’s highest compared to other Arctic Monkeys singles, the song is one of my personal favourites from ‘AM’.

5. Cosby Sweater – Okay this was difficult to choose an Australian song that should be my top 5, there are many artists and bands who’ve released successful and catchy songs but I feel like Hilltop Hoods have always been sort of an icon for Australian hip-hop and ‘Cosby Sweater’ really expresses that. The song is extremely catchy and makes you want to get up and dance. Although the song has merely peaked in Australia, hopefully these guys get some recognition around the globe, they’ve been around for a while now and it’s about time this happened. 

NOTEWORTHY

Happy – Pharrell Williams has been one of the artists that everyone wants their hands on. ‘Happy’peaked so hard in the charts, it’s not exactly my favourite song, I mean it’s extremely catchy and makes you… happy… But for me, it’s a bit over-rated and I was over the moon when it was out of the top 10 in the charts, because I continuously heard this song everywhere, all. thetime!

I’m An Albatraoz – This song has caused so much controversy, some even labelling it the “worst song” this year. However, I have to disagree, although the lyrics make zero sense and the vocals aren’t exactly the best I’ve heard, the beat and bass in the song really gets you going. I think labelling it the worst song is very far fetched.

Rather Be and Real Love – Clean Bandit are like the new kids on the block and collaborating with Jess Glynne for both dance hits has been the best thing to happen. Both hits have an element of baroque pop with electronic beats. Rather Bepeaked at the start of the year while Real Lovewas just recently released and has done extremely well. The singles are apart of Clean Bandit’s album ‘New Eyes’ and I highly recommend it for anyone who enjoys a bit of a different sound.

Waves and Prayer in C – Robin Schulz transformed two feel good songs and mixed them with a deep house beat. The remixes hit the charts and really changed the way we all think about music. Deep house has become a ‘thing’ now and oh boy am I glad it did. 

WORTH A LISTEN

Clementine – Millions
You Always Know The DJ - Allday
Ariana Grande – Love Me Harder (feat. The Weeknd)
Pray To God – Calvin Harris (feat. HAIM)
Outside – Calvin Harris (feat. Ellie Goulding)
Take Me Over – Peking Duk (feat. SAFIA)
Delirious (Boneless) – Steve Aoki (feat. Kid Ink)
Weekend – Priory
In Distress – A$AP Rocky (feat. Gesaffelstein) 
Wicked Games – Parra For Cuva (feat. Anna Naklab)
When The Beat Drops Out – Marlon Roudette
Sunlight – The Magician (feat. Years and Years)
Down On My Luck – Vic Mensa
Nicki Minaj – Anaconda 
Beyonce – Flawless (Remix) [feat. Nicki Minaj], Partition, 7/11, Drunk In Love
Feeling Myself – Will.I.AmMiley Cyrus and Wiz Khalifa
Budapest – George Ezra
F for You - Disclosure (feat. Mary J Blige)


TOP 5 ALBUMS

1. Language & Perspective – Bad Suns are one of my favourite, under-rated bands and their debut album is my favourite of the year. If you’ve not heard of this band, I suggest you hop right onto this as soon as possible. The album has essence of alterative rock, indie song and pop, it’s a really good mix. The album features the 2013 singles ‘Cardiac Arrest’ and ‘Salt’. My favourite songs from this album are ‘Take My Love And Run’ which has this groovy beat, and ‘Rearview’ which just begs for you to sing along. This isn’t just an album, it’s a breath of fresh air, it’s funky and full of vibes. 

2. The Lonely Hour – Sam Smith has been one of the break-through artists of the year in my eyes, although he claimed his fame from the breakthrough single of ‘Latch’ alongside Disclose, Naughty Boy’s ‘La La La’ also pushed it even further. He has single-handily brought back soul and passion in music. His vocals grasp your heart and touch your soul, the lyrics are deep and meaningful and you truly feel the emotion emulating off the music. Sam Smith lets his music speak for him. ‘Stay With Me’ and ‘I’m Not The Only One’ are heart-felt and soulful. ‘Like I Can’ is my all-time favourite song and I was really pleased to see that it became a single, it has the element of pop in song while also being soulful once again. Sam Smith has been nominated for a whopping total of six Grammy Awards, and you can see why once you hear the magic of the album. 

3. 1989 – Taylor Swift has all my respect, country queen became pop princess and I’ve loved this transformation. The entire album is full hitsthere are no misses. ‘Shake It Off’ was probably the biggest swerve Swift made and I will never get over it. I really enjoyed the fact that Swift hit back at critics with this single. ‘Blank Space’ is a favourite of mine for sure, once again sticking it to her critics with a sick beat in check and meaningful lyrics, no wrong can be done. I was not the biggest fan of Swift but I’ve definitely jumped on this bandwagon and I think she’s down right awesome.

4. Max Relax – Millions is a home grownartist and it’s time to appreciate some Australian music and if you’re not into Australia music, this where to start. Their indie pop feel will have you mesmerised and you’ll be fixed on this album with a sense of awe for these real dudes. The album features the hits ‘Clementine’ and ‘Allure’. The strapping boys have been described as ‘a prom band’ and not just because their music suits the setting of such an event but purely because of how they dress which is sharp, proper and swoon-worthy. If you’re looking for another band to swoon over, choose these handsome, charming guys.

5. Startup Cult – Onto more home-growntalent, Allday, has become one of my favourite people ever. Not just because he’s extrovert attitude on social media but purely because his sound is genuine and on-trend. White rappers are in, not to compare to Iggy Azalea but hey Allday might have a nice butt too? I like that Allday is real and is relatable. The hip-hop, rap sound is different but modern and “hip”. It features ‘You Always Know The DJ’ and ‘Right Now’,one of my personal favourites is ‘Wolves’.  I highly recommend you check it out and hopefully you get as hooked as I am on this album.

NOTEWORTHY

My Everything – Although I’m not one of the biggest fans of Ariana Grande, I cannot deny the talent she possesses. Her charm is really reflected in the music she makes and her voice is insanely powerful, it blows me away and sends chills up my spine. ‘Love Me Harder’ is definitely my favourite from this delightThe Weeknd always gets me. The entirety of the album was a chart topper and it’s not a shocker because the vocals, lyrics and everything was just so on point. It’s no wonder the album was nominated for ‘Best Pop Vocal Album’ Grammy. It’s been a memorable year for Ariana Grande and cudos to her. 

Sucker – Charli XCX has been around, here and there, for a while now, and has just recently peaked. Her album ‘Sucker’ is a really incredible follow up of her debut album ‘True Romance’, which was released in 2013. Charli is definitely one of my favourite singer/songwriters and ‘Sucker’ has featured some of her best music yet, ‘Break The Rules’ and ‘Boom Clap’ are just a few of the tunes contained in the album. A majority of her music from years ago has gone unnoticed, but finally, Charli XCX is hitting a peak in the industry. 

Four – One Direction are definitely my favourites and their development in the music industry has been proven through the various albums they’ve released in their four years. ‘Four’ is a completely different turn in which One Direction have taken. There are the obvious pop elements focused on the album but you can see they’ve changed their tune. ‘Steal My Girl’ was not a surprising singleit screams bubblegum pop. ‘Night Changes’ however, really struck me surprise, particularly once the music video was released, it’s a really mellow and down right sweet song. The music video for ‘Night Changes’ is the best One Direction have ever made. ‘Stockholm Syndrome’ and The 1975-esque ‘Change Your Ticket’ are my favourite songs from ‘Four’ and I’m praying that One Direction make one of them the next single. This album will change your mind if you’re not a fan, and make you love them even more if you are a fan. 

Talking Dreams – Even though this album was released in 2013, Echosmith have finally hit their peak and this was probably my favourite thing to see happen this year. ‘Cool Kids’, the single released in 2013, became a smash hit around the world, not too bad for the four Sierota siblings who have been a band for about 5 years and were just signed to Warner Bros. Records a couple of years ago. 

5 Seconds of Summer – 5SOS finally released an album after 2 years of being a band, I waited for this moment and it finally came. After gaining success whilst supporting One Direction on tour, 5SOS have really blown up, their fan base getting larger and the charts being bombarded by these four boys, it’s been a crazy couple of years for them. ‘Good Girls’ is one of my favourite songs that is apart of this album and I greatly appreciate that it was released as a single, it was a good decision to step away from the extremely pop sound of ‘She Looks So Perfect’. ‘Don’t Stop’ is also a noteworthy song and single of the album’. 
This Is All Yours – An indie pop, rock and electronic experience all in one album is all you could ask for from alt-J. This album has performed extremely well in charts and is an easy listener, it’s been nominated for a Grammy for ‘Best Alternative Album’ and you’ll see why once listened to. ‘Hunger of the Pine’, ‘Left Hand Free’ and ‘Every Other Freckle’, all feature on this specular album.

Royal Blood – The debut album of Royal Blood who are a rock duo. The music produced is of high-quality, along with its lyrics. Although the general element of the album is described as rock, it’s not the type of rock you’d expect. The duo are loud and rowdy and sometimes it’s good to swerve in a different direction when listening to music. This album is genuine proof that rock music is not in fact dead. 

You May Also Like

0 comments