Bronze Bombshell

by - Tuesday, November 17, 2015

So Rimmel London have finally introduced a new tanning product to their never-ending supply of products. As part of this launch, I've tested this product for about a month now. I decided to test this product for a lot longer than any other product I've ever used because I don't buy tanning products and I've never used tanning sprays or anything like that. However, I've only ever used Palmer's Cocoa Butter Natural Bronze Lotion, so I lack experience in this field as I considered the product more of a tinted moisturiser than an actual tanning product.

But I have finally tried a tanning product, it's not a spray or a lotion though, it's a mousse instead. Rimmel London have launched their first self-tanning bronzing product that comes in the form of mousse, so it's pretty easy to apply. All you have to do is shake the bottle well and then voila you can spray it out of the bottle and apply it to wherever you want to get a bronzed look. 

The best part about this product is that it has an instant tanning effect that dries in 2 minutes and develops in an hour. Another perk of this tanning mousse is that it lasts up to 7 days, so don't think that you can't shower because you totally can. It won't rub or wash off, no matter how much you scrub. I actually personally tried to remove the product with a makeup remover and it didn't work so it's pretty much stuck on there.


Trialling this product I used two methods, one where I used disposable gloves and another where I didn't use the gloves. I thought the gloves would make it a lot more easier to apply and it would be quicker.

So the negative about this product is application for me. I'm inexperienced with self-tanning products as I've said, however, I didn't expect the product to stick to my hands, so every time I applied the mousse to my skin, I'd have to wash my hands. You can imagine how time consuming that would be. As the product dries so quickly it becomes difficult to rub off my hands with just water and even soap wouldn't help. When I saw that my hands were more tanned than my actual body I was freaking out. And that was when I decided to use disposable gloves to apply the mousse, but even then, the applying the product was so much more frustrating, the gloves didn't help much but they did protect my hands from being more bronzed than my body.

When applying the self-tanning product I found that it was pretty easy but if you left the mousse in the same spot for just like a little bit it would leave a mark and it was pretty hard to cover it up because it's a completely different colour, it was sort of like between red and brown, to when you're applying it normally, don't ask me why because I'm just as dumb founded as you are. 

Personally, I found that the application was uneven at times so you would have to put another layer of the mousse just fix it up and sometimes it would just get worse and worse. However, once you get the hang of a mousse product it usually gets easier as you go. I recommend applying this product to your skin bit by bit, so you can sort of find out what method works best for you. I started with legs, then moved onto my arms and then onto my core section and everywhere else after that. But this is my personal preference, you can do whatever works best for you and tan in specific areas or all over your body if you want. 

Additionally, I recommend you tan during the day and not at night. Lighting in a bathroom or wherever you're applying the mousse is deceiving so you may think your tan is uneven at times and you end up applying a tonne of the stuff. You also want to make sure you exfoliate and have removed hair in the places you apply the mousse just for a smooth application process that's hassle-free and will leave a streak-free finish.


Although there are cons for this product, there usually is with a lot of products especially when it comes to tanning, I find that the positives definitely override the procedure of tanning. The positives are that the formula of this mousse is long-lasting, leaves you with a natural sun kissed glow as well as keeping your skin moisturised. As the formula blends into your skin, it's suitable for most skin types, hopefully this range extends to more skin types. The tanning mousse is also light-weight so you can't even feel that it's on your skin even when you're applying it. The tan dries in minutes so you don't need to worry about your tan rubbing off on your clothes or bed sheets or anything really and it develops over an hour so you'll notice results immediately, oh and an added bonus is that it makes your skin feel super soft! Also, the best part is that you can tell there's a tan but it doesn't look super fake so people won't even be able to tell that you've slaved over tanning your entire body and struggled in areas, bending over backwards so there's no streaks or uneven areas!

If you want to maintain your tan, all you have to do is apply the mousse once a week, so it's not at all time-consuming and is really convenient. This product has become apart of my weekly routine and I love that I can get a tan just from a bottle rather than tanning for hours on end not realising the implications it has on my skin.

Rimmel London's Sun Shimmer Self-Tan mousse is available in three shades being light, medium and dark, the finish is matte and you can choose what kind of coverage you want from sheer to full coverage, the choice is yours. This little bottle of goodness will cost you less than $20 and you get what you pay for. It's perfect for a first-time tanner so you'll be a pro in no time!

PERSONAL EXPERIENCE

I wore the self-tan mousse that Rimmel released before attending the Spring Racing Carnival as I was wearing white and didn't want the tan to rub off on the material. The tan was still visible as the tan does what it advertises and lasts for 7 days when you apply it once a week, every week. So if you use it as directed you can be guaranteed a tan that lasts.

I also personally found that the tan gradually disappeared and didn't turn green like some fake tans might do. Overall, my experience with this product is pretty positive, as a first time fake tanner using a spray (or mousse) product I loved using this product and the results were better than expected.

If you looked close enough you could see the tan was fading so there was a slight difference between my actual skin tone and my "tan".

You May Also Like

0 comments