My experience of St. Jerome's Laneway Festival

by - Friday, February 19, 2016


If you follow me on Instagram you'll notice that all my profile has been bombarded with photos from Laneway, basically my aesthetic is Laneway. However, if you aren't following me on Instagram, what the bloody hell are you waiting for... well go on then, get following, chop chop!

So if you're scratching you're head with confusion because you have no idea what St. Jerome's Laneway Festival is, it's a massive music festival that's in locations around Australia but also Singapore, Detroit and Auckland, which is totally awesome considering it began in a little street within the city of Melbourne.

The reason this is such a huge deal for me is because this was my first ever music festival and one of the many achievements I've wanted to tick off my bucket list for a while now.

On the day of the event I was stoked. It was the best decision to take public transport not only because the vibe was awesome but also because there's quite literally no parking, so if you're ever going to a public event like a music festival, definitely go for the public transport option. However, there are cons for every pro and that would be that public transport is not always reliable, in fact, I had the worst experience with it after having an incredibly impeccable day, which was a disappointment to end the day on a low.

Upon arrival, there were blockades of barriers around the venue, security standing by ready to check bags and tickets. The most annoying thing was that you had to empty your bottles, even if they were in fact filled with just water. There were rows of people drinking and emptying their bottles and I became apart of the group to do so. Drinking half a bottle, I was terribly sad to part with my chilled water, I just knew the water you could fill your bottles with inside the venue wouldn't be chilled. After I couldn't drink no more, I poured the water onto trees and plants whispering 'you better not waste this planet Earth'. Okay so I didn't whisper that, but it was a truly dramatic moment because all I wanted was chilled water in my life.

Once I got my cute little, vintage backpack checked and my ticket for entry scanned, I walked into the venue as if I was reborn, ready for the time of my life. Welcomed by volunteers holding maps for the venue, stalls for merchandise and informations, signs directing you to where you want to go, along with lines of cubicle toilets and water taps.

Japanese Wallpaper on stage
First things first was water, I needed water. I checked the temperature of the water... room temperature, not chilled at all, this is not the life I chose but I guess I will have to suck it up, after all, I'm at my first music festival!

As I arrived an hour before the real fun began, there was time on my hands to look around and get used to the surroundings. The place was huge, surrounded by stalls selling alcohol and food trucks selling numerous cuisines at every turn, there was everything you could ever need for a festival.

The first stage was the Dean Turner Stage which I barely came back to during the day purely because there was never room to see the artists I had planned to see, I mean the asphalt path was quite literally always full of people either watching the act on the stage or purchasing merchandise.

Onto the Mistletoe Stage, this was probably my favourite stage that was set up even though I only went there a couple of times to either check it out during the breaks between artists performances or to just mellow out on the green, grassy hill or take cover under the trees to cool off from the unbearable heat.

The next destinations of choice were the Future Classic Stage and the Very West Stage. These stages were I spent most of my time at only because all my favourite acts were on these stages and the other stages were so far, you just got tired of trying to even walk there to watch acts performing.

#mycalvins

Thank god I didn't wear any shoes with a heel on them or I wouldn't have survived the day, rule number one of music festivals, don't even dare to wear heels, you will not enjoy the experience at all due to your continuous complaining because of those aching feet. I definitely recommend a flat shoe, I went for the supportive sneaker which I pat myself on the back for making such a wise decision.

During the walk to these stages I saw a cocktail bar to my right, more cubicles to my left and then an army of food trucks which caught my eye immediately. Just what I needed, greasy food and unlimited amounts of alcohol. Unfortunately I didn't even bother with alcohol, I mean you got half a bottle of beer or half the strength of a mixed drink of the price of two so you needed to buy two at a time, I could literally see people walking out of the booze line with two drinks in their hand every time they ordered a drink, that's how ridiculous it was, no wonder people try to smuggle liquor into festivals.

The first act I bared witness to was the Triple J Unearthed winner, ESESE, which were pretty darn cool considering they are a band based in Melbourne and were the new kids on the block, their energy was amazing, the crowd of people that were present was limited but the vibe was a good way to start the day.  I definitely recommend listening to this band if you're looking for something funky fresh.

Then onto Methyl Ethel, this band was one of my favourites for the day, the crowd danced and the crowd sung and it was only lunchtime! It was a privilege to see Methyl Ethel perform Twilight Driving live, I jammed so had to this tune.

Finally it was time to hit up a food truck, so many choices my stomach was grumbling, I just wanted to eat everything I read on the menus. To fill me up I went for the hot chilli cheese fries, it was cheap and filling and was enjoyed while sitting under a tree listening to Slum Sociable on the Future Classic Stage.

Once I was satisfied (for now) with a small snack, it was time to get in position for Japanese Wallpaper. Now this dude was freaking amazing, awe-inspiring if I'm honest. His music totally mellowed me out but also made me felt like I was melting as I was exposed to the sun during the entirety of the performance. All I could think about while swaying and slowly moving to the beat was I knew I should have worn sunscreen, I am totally going to get burnt, so many regrets.

There was a huge break between artists I wanted to see so it was time to dawdle around and cool off little bit before bumming around and listening to artists I had never heard of. Shamir was on the Future Classic Stage and I had never heard his music but hell it was freaking awesome. The beat was on point and so many people were jamming to every song he performed, it was actually great to witness. I didn't know the words to any Shamir song but I still shimmied and shaked to the beat and felt the need to gyrate my hips I swear it was like I was being taken over.

After drifting between The Very West stage and the Future Classic Stage, from The Smiths Street Band to Thundercats to FIDLAR, it was time to fuel up so it was necessary to order a good old fashioned hot dog and some ice-cream. Gelato Messina had a special menu for Laneway including flavours going by the names of 'Take Me To Chvrches' and 'Come On Baby Light My Flume'. If you don't know which one I ordered how very dare you not know, you should know me by now.

Once the food was devoured, it was time to stick it out the Very West Stage, I wish I had bought a tent with me to this festival because I was basically camping out at this stage just so that I could see three acts in a row, being Hermitude, Grimes and then finally Flume to end the night off with a bang.

Front row on the barrier
Throughout the day it was hot, sweaty and uncomfortable but everyone pushed through the pain for the major acts, these being Hermitude, Grimes, Violent Soho, Vince Staples, Hudson Mohawke, Purity Ring, Chvrches and Flume. I wanted to see every single act but it was impossible to get to every stage and see them all clearly while enjoying yourself at the same, so you just had to choose a stage and stick with it if you wanted the experience of a lifetime.

Hermitude was fire, I mean this dynamic duo literally battled on through a a technical glitch that no one complained about at all because I mean why would you even dare? Even though there was a cool change, the vibe was insane and the sweat was dripping everywhere. Every single person was moving to the beat of the music and screaming at the top of their lungs. Hermitude got the crowd involved at every opportunity, even improvising at once stage once the glitch occurred. I was completely in awe of this pain, the energy they bought to the table ignited the crowd and was completely hypnotising.

There was an intermission between Hermitude and Grimes so it hydrating and staying in your place in the crowd was essential. I moved from about the fourth row from the stage, right to second row. By the time Grimes came on stage I was at the barrier thanks to some lovely people who saw that I was disadvantage height wise. I honestly love, loved Grimes and her act. The woman was literally dressed as Harley Quinn and was dancing and singing throughout her performance of each song. Grimes also had a technical glitch but like Hermitude, did her best to continue and continue she did in extraordinary fashion. Grimes knows she's weird and that's what I loved the most about her act, she owned it and for that the crowd admired her.

Weird ol' Grimes
As soon as Grimes was finished, I stayed in my place again, only moving a bit more to the middle of the barriers to get in a better position for Flume. I didn't care that my feet were killing me, I didn't care that I had practically spent the entire day standing up and walking around, this festival was so worth it.

This was the moment I had been waiting for, it was finally time to witness the genius that is Flume... The lights went down and the stage was pitch black, you could just see a figure drifting across the stage. Suddenly, a glimmer of light came from the stage and Flume was there in the flesh. The crowd, including myself, electrified and went absolutely crazy. Woof whistles, claps and distant woo-hooing emerged. As soon as Flume made an introduction statement, it was time for the performance. Each and every song I never stood still, I jumped, I danced, I even whipped my hair back and forth, I was being possessed by the music, I was being taken over. Flume had me, he had me right in the palm of his hands and he didn't even know it. Vince Staples and Kai made appearances which completely turned the crowd into maniacs, but not the kind that went savage. It was one of the most enjoyable experiences I had encountered throughout the day.

The King ruling his people
After Laneway I realised why I was always drawn to festivals, crowded amongst people, even if they are random, is an incredible feeling, it makes you feel free and alive. Being surrounded by hundreds of thousands of people with the same common interest is why public events such as these are the best experiences one will ever live. You talk, dance and sing with people you don't even know and you just enjoy every single moment you succumb to.

Experiences like this are unforgettable, once you're living it, you never want to stop, you're immediately  drawn to its desires and fail to resist. I cannot wait to continuously experience life in this way, this is a wonderful journey that shall never end.

And that my friends was my experience of Laneway Festival, the very first festival I attended.

You May Also Like

0 comments