Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice

by - Tuesday, April 12, 2016


Alright folks, it's that time again, it's that time where I tell you my thoughts on a film. The film that's received a lot of hype and quite a bit of negativity is Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice.

If you're out there thinking, why the heck are Batman and Superman fighting? This film already doesn't make sense because Superman is stronger than Batman, then you're not alone. I myself would have preferred that the film were called Dawn of Justice because honestly Batman is puny compared to that of Superman who is seen as a "God" to some but even the title wouldn't have helped.

From the start I was a little bit on the fence with this film. Christian Bale had bailed on coveting the Batman costume, quitting after the Batman trilogy, which was a disappointment because he, along with the legend Michael Keaton, wore Batman so well. Ben Affleck took up the Bat, joining the likes of Chris Evans, Ryan Reynolds and Brandon Routh, among others, who've switched from DC to Marvel sometimes even more than once. I wasn't sure how to feel about Ben Affleck but upon watching the film I definitely thought Bruce Wayne looked good on him. The Batman costume didn't tickle my fancy or jingle my bells, I was a huge fan of the gadgets and vehicles the character had in his arsenal. However, a factor I noticed in the film was that Bruce was a lot older than I thought he would be which had me confused about where in the Batman timeline we actually are? Oh and don't think I didn't notice Batman using guns, basically bending that 'no guns' rule ... I didn't miss that little detail.


For those who thought Batman v Superman would be a continuance from the Batman trilogy, you may be disappointed to know that it isn't. But you're not alone, I felt that the time leap was a bit confusing for me, considering that this was a film produced by the great Christopher Nolan. I definitely thought Batman would have a better transition into the film. A positive about Batman's transition though is the fact that Bruce Wayne's origin story wasn't dragged on. I definitely feel as though previous Batman films which are constantly getting a reboot always, always, have the origin story. The thing is, if you honestly don't know Batman's origin by now, you mustn't have seen enough Batman films or read anything about the character because it's been drilled into my brain.


The negative about the transition of such a pivotal character was the fact that so many important facts could have been explained throughout the film but instead irrelevant scenes were added. For example, there's two scenes in the film which confused the crap out of me only because the scenes were so out of place and I kept questioning why the scenes were included in the first place. Even Batman's origin story could've been dragged through the mud and I would've been happier with that than the choppy scenes that somehow made it into the actual film rather than included as a deleted scene, or maybe even a blooper if I'm going to express my disappointment enough.

With regards to Superman, I was honestly shocked at how much Batman v Superman disappointed  me only because Man of Steel is personally one of my favourite DC films, along with The Dark Knight. I have seen every Superman film made and Man of Steel just made such an impression on me, I expected a lot more from Batman v Superman than what I got. I felt as though, the film focused more on Bruce Wayne's vendetta against Superman than the fact that Superman was being scapegoated. You would think a man like Bruce Wayne who is well-equiped with computers and knowledge would somehow realise that Superman wasn't the bad guy, but hey I guess those negative vibes will do that to a guy.



When it comes to accuracy in a comic book film, you learn to expect that the film adaptation will only draw from aspects of a comic rather than be accurate in every frame and every way possible. I'm a huge critic when it comes to films and television shows not being true to comics, but I've noticed the error in my ways, it's difficult to make this happen, particularly when studios may not have legal rights to certain things, I'm looking at you Spider-Man and X-Men, and basically every freaking Marvel films. But what was the excuse of the writers and the director of Batman v Superman when it came to Doomsday? The character's powers and abilities were actually so accurate and I was pleased with that, but the way it was created and introduced was just... wrong, and it bothered me because I knew this from the beginning before the film was even released.

One of the major negatives that left a hole in my heart was the fact that Aquaman, Cyborg and The Flash probably had, collectively, less than 5 minutes of screen-time. I do like how the Justice League members were introduced but for all the hype, it just ended up leaving me thoroughly disappointed. I just wanted more, I needed more, but I do know there will be upcoming live-action films for these characters, which just warms my heart a wee bit.

Another pitfall of the film were the plot holes. There was a lack of detail in certain scenes and then a little too much at certain instances, it confused me while watching the film. Half the time, I had no idea what was actually happening in the film, while other times I felt as though some scenes that were introduced were irrelevant in nature to me and made me lose interest in the film altogether.

Additionally, I felt as though the some of the dialogue was pointless to me, some of the script was unnecessary, it was basically word vomit to me in a number of scenes, particularly when it came to Lex Luthor. However, when it came to the action, it was definitely choreographed well in my opinion, but I did feel as though the film was a little too loud for my liking, but that's a tiny detail I can ignore.

Personally, as a whole, the film was average, the hype was not really lived up to and the trailer would've been enough to grasp the plot concepts. The plus side was that the film did establish the starting point of Justice League, even though the film was indeed choppy when it came to this area.

The film definitely had an iffy feel to it when it came to the Batman and Superman rivalry, a number of scenes get my praise while others just make me want to roll my eyes. As the rivalry was the point of the film, it was disorganised at times. The transition from Metropolis to Gotham, from Clarke Kent to Bruce Wayne caused me confusion at times. I wasn't sure what city I was in. I mean I watch Game of Thrones and with so many characters and different locations I can still keep up, but for some reason this film just made my head spin.

Don't get me wrong, there were certain scenes that were actually pretty good with regards to detail, special effects and the character plot(s). But if I'm being honest, this film made it seem as though the director, the producers and the writers all came together and just decided, '...You know what guys, lets just use this $250 million budget and fuck shit up. Lets make this film really loud, as in the viewers won't even be able to hear their own thoughts for no apparent reason. And lets just add scenes that could've been summed up in 20 minutes rather than an hour or more... Actually, no wait, better idea, lets just add scenes that make zero sense to the story line or are irrelevant af! Yes lets do that, perfect, this is going to be a hit.'

Basically, it was chaotic in nature.

Overall, there are a number of aspects that are positive, but there are a lot more negatives for me due to the fact that the plot was messy and felt a bit like projectile vomit in cinematic form with too much added effects, cool costumes and sound that could probably be heard in a parallel universe.

Marvel owns the crown when it comes to live-action film and DC Comics is under the illusion that they can dethrone it.





You May Also Like

0 comments